OGCA show Wellington

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Post Reply
SPE33
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:01 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 192 times

OGCA show Wellington

Post by SPE33 »

My wife and I drove to the show yesterday as I had one gun I was trying to sell and one I brought along for “show and tell “. I was pleasantly surprised to bump into fellow Foxers Marshfellow and Foxnut. Both of them had spent a considerable amount of time to drive to Ohio and set up. Although I didn’t come with any new guns I just couldn’t pass up a 348 Winchester Bear Box Tom had brought along for a very fair price.These don’t come along every day and will go great with my Model 71 20” inch Special. Thanks,Tom.
Researcher
Posts: 6230
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: WA/AK
Has thanked: 466 times
Been thanked: 2449 times

Re: OGCA show Wellington

Post by Researcher »

Nice! Hopefully whoever cleans out my house after I'm gone won't throw the half dozen full "Bear Boxes" sitting in a drawer in the gunroom in a dumpster. I wonder if those pre-war primers are still good?
Bear Boxes.jpeg
This to me seems to be the hardest box of .348 ammo to find --
Peters 210 Grain Belted.jpg
Tell us about your Carbine. Standard? Deluxe? Bolt peep?
Share the knowledge
SPE33
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:01 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: OGCA show Wellington

Post by SPE33 »

Ok…Here’s what I learned.
Manufactured September 24th,1942
Deluxe 20” barrel
Short tang
22-K rear sight
Logo grip cap
Receiver not drilled-no holes
#1 barrel address
Flat in the white muzzle
Fine checkering
Steel butt plate
Checkered hammer As of 9-3-23 out of the 3010 guns in his Model 71 survey he had recorded 135 with the 20” barrel.
If you have access to the Summer 2021 Winchester Collector magazine there is a very informative article in there on 71’s. You can also see it online at the Winchester Collector forum I believe.
I picked up the proper sling swivels in Vegas a couple of years ago but an original sling has eluded me so far.
Researcher
Posts: 6230
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: WA/AK
Has thanked: 466 times
Been thanked: 2449 times

Re: OGCA show Wellington

Post by Researcher »

The 20-inch barrel is first listed in the 1938 Winchester catalog. Here is the Model 71 page from the 1936, 1937 & 1938 Winchester catalogs --
1936, 1937 & 1938 adds 20-inch barrel.jpeg
The American Rifleman did a short review of the 20-inch barrel Model 71 in the March 1938 issue, page 13 --
American Rifleman, March 1938, pg 13.jpeg
The 250-grain loading is mentioned in the 1941 Winchester catalog. The Model 71 page from the 1939 & 1941 Winchester catalogs --
1939, 1941 adds 250 grain bullet.jpeg
The January 2, 1941, Western Ammunition Price List has a section on the Silvertip bullets on the back cover --
January 2, 1941, Western Ammunition Price List back page Silvertip ad.jpeg
and the 250-grain .348 load is shown for the same price as the 150- & 200-grain soft point!
January 2, 1941, Western Ammunition Price List.jpeg
The earlier Winchester Ammunition Price Lists include a .348 150-grain Full Patch bullet load which I have never seen.
January 2, 1940, Winchester Ammunition Price List.jpeg
Share the knowledge
bbman3
Posts: 1657
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Deep South
Has thanked: 236 times
Been thanked: 136 times
Contact:

Re: OGCA show Wellington

Post by bbman3 »

I once owned a near mint early long tang deluxe model 71. Bobby
MARSHFELLOW
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: Adirondack Mountain foothills
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: OGCA show Wellington

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Nice seeing you Joe... enjoy the "bear box". Next stop Louisville. :)
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Post Reply