I have an odd Sterlingworth that I inherited from an uncle who owned a hardware store. The serial number is 255187, which would indicate it dates from 1918. The stock is of a more common wood, not nearly as nice as my other Fox guns and appears to be of more modern origin than the matching serial number splinter forearm. The barrels, also with matching serial numbers, are engraved "20 GA.-2 3/4 Chamber" and "Savage Arms Corporation Chicopee Falls, Mass, U.S." The rib appears to be original as well. It looks like a new gun in many respects.
I surmise that it may have been repaired by Savage, but I'm puzzled by the matching numbers on the barrels. Can anyone help?
Odd 20 ga. Sterlingworth
-
Researcher
- Posts: 6230
- Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:18 pm
- Location: WA/AK
- Has thanked: 466 times
- Been thanked: 2446 times
At some point, not too long after WW-II, Savage started a policy of only doing repairs to Philadelphia built Ansley H. Fox doubles if the owner aggreed to having the gun rechambered for 2 3/4 inch shells and proof tested. If the gun failed proof they would, as a mater of customer goodwill, fit a new set of barrels at cost and destroy the old barrels!!! Otherwise no repairs would be done.
Share the knowledge
-
lawsonmabry
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:57 am