Page 1 of 2
1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 am
by SPE33
I never thought this would happen but while browsing around a gun show yesterday what did I find? A very nice 12 gauge
Sterlingworth that still had its original hang tag from 1928. I know that a 12 gauge with 30" barrels is a pretty common
find but this is the first hang tag I've seen. I will try again later posting some pictures when I can figure out how to make
them fit in the image size constraints.Any tips that could help me out would be appreciated.
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm
by Researcher
Not saying it is the case, but one needs to be careful a hang-tag isn't one of these repros off ebay --
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-H-Fox-Model-D ... Sw311Zuwm5
The real hang-tags have brass grommet reinforcing the hole where the string attaches.
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm
by SPE33
Researcher.......P.M.sent. SPE33
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm
by jolly bill
Here's some pictures of a genuine Fox Hang Tag . . . .
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:41 pm
by MARSHFELLOW
..........nice info Jolly, thanks.
tjw
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 pm
by Researcher
Researcher.......P.M.sent. SPE33
Nothing has shown up in my inbox since one from Frank on 24 September?
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:45 pm
by SPE33
Sorry.....Message was sent to
AHFCA@comcast.My mistake.
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm
by Researcher
Amazing what I can find when I look in the right place!!
Looks like a very nice find.
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm
by Researcher
Over the years the hang-tags and the information given on them changed.
At one point in time 20-gauge tags were red.
I've never seen or snagged a picture of a 16-gauge hang-tag, and the Holy Grail of hang-tags would be the one for a Super-Fox that explains "BARRELS NOT GUARANTEED-SEE TAG."
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:32 am
by fox-admin
Beautiful Sterlingworth a real bench mark gun!! Thanks all
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 am
by SPE33
My thanks to Jolly & Researcher for the pictures and information on the Fox hang tags.Hopefully in another 89 years it
will still be with this gun.I don't know if it adds anything to its value, but it sure is nice to have!
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 pm
by Foxnut
Very nice, high condition Sterly 12. Don't see them like that very often!
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 pm
by James Orr
Just picked up a 16 ga A grade with its original hang tag. The pellet counts are listed on the hang tag. right barrel 211, left barrel 241. Does anyone know what type of load it would have been patterned with, and how many pellets would have been in the load? The left barrel measures .020 constriction and right barrel measures .015. Bores both measure .662. So would this be choked imp mod and mod? Barrel length is 30 inches. Chambers measure 2 3/4. Gun has not been out in 30 years.
Thanks for any info or thoughts.
Regards,
James orr
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm
by Researcher
The only 16-gauge hang-tag I have a picture of is for a Savage-era Fox-Sterlingworth Deluxe Field and it doesn't give any load data. Based on the 12- and 20-gauge hang-tags I have pictures of, that give load data, I'd suspect the gun would have been targeted with 1 ounce of #8 chilled shot, nominally 409 pellets to the ounce. So, 211/409 = 51.6% and 241/409 = 58.9%. I have a 30-inch 16-gauge that was ordered bored 50 and 60% --
Re: 1928 Sterlingworth with tag
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm
by bbman3
I would have ordered the above 16 with top rib as narrow as practical.Bobby