Page 1 of 1
Another new fox owner
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:23 pm
by JChase
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:42 pm
by Silvers
Congrats on your new Fox. Just curious, what are the stock dims, barrel length and chokes? Silvers
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:32 pm
by Researcher
Welcome aboard. While that gun appears to be a fairly early 2nd generation AE-Grade Philadelphia era gun, that trigger guard shape and the stock appears to be pure Savage to my eye.
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:52 am
by JChase
Silvers, the stock (obviously newer) has a LOP 13 3/4, Barrels are 26" (which is what I wanted), weight is just under 7lbs.
Researcher, thanks and no this is definitely not a savage, as I mentioned the stack has been redone like a partial makeover. Bluing is not great but good enough for now, inside of barrels is clean and smooth, engraving is still pretty good. Everything is decent for a gun that will be use heavily in the woods but definitely not a show piece.
Question, I assume that this gun requires 2 1/2" shells. I tried putting a 2 3/4" shell into it and had no problem. Is it a question of power and not actual size of shell? What should I be using?
Thanks
Jim
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:14 pm
by Twice Barrel
JChase wrote:
Question, I assume that this gun requires 2 1/2" shells. I tried putting a 2 3/4" shell into it and had no problem. Is it a question of power and not actual size of shell? What should I be using?
Jim
Early 12 gauge Foxes were chambered for 2 5/8th inch shells. In the early/mid 30s Savage started chambering for 2 3/4 inch shells. Unless they have been lengthened your chambers should be 2 5/8th inches. You can check your chamber length easily by slipping a fired 2 3/4 inch hull that has a wad inserted in the mouth backwards to hold the mouth open into the chamber. If the round stops before fully chambering you have a 2 5/8 th inch chamber, if it fully chambers the chambers have most likely been lengthened.
Sherman Bell did extensive testing of chamber pressure increases when using longer shells in short chambers and found that so long as chamber pressures were held in the low to moderate range there was not a significant increse by using the longer round in the short chamber.