Page 1 of 1
Second Barrel Question
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:07 pm
by Oregon16
I have a 1934 Utica Sterlingworth. When I fire the gun with snapcaps or with light reloads, I am able to fire the first (front) and then the second (back) trigger with no issues. Just came back from a MT pheasant hunt and while on the hunt I used some heavier factory field loads. The first barrel fired with no issues, but then I was not able to fire the second barrel. I took the shells out, gave it a dry fire (reluctantly) to see if there were any obvious issues, and both triggers fired without problem. Put back in the ammo and the problem continued (there were definitely chances to use the second barrel

)
Does the gun have an internal issue of some sort, perhaps a spring is weak? I am not conversant with the internal trigger mechanism on a fox so any help from the forum would be appreciated.
Re: Second Barrel Question
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:35 am
by Stan Hillis
That is a bit of a puzzle for me, too. It may be an issue that just cannot be diagnosed over the 'net, and will require hands on inspection by a good double gun smith. I will be thinking about it, tho' I make no claims about being sharp on such issues. One thing I would do, if I could not see an obvious issue with the triggers upon disassembly, is to compare them to another Fox that has perfectly functioning triggers. Sometimes a side by side comparison (pun intended) helps me diagnose a problem.
One thing I would like to confirm, were it mine. That is, will the same thing occur if you fire the left barrel first, then try the right? I often shoot my doubles that way, if the barrels are choked differently, at clays or at birds. How much trouble would it be for you to try that with the heavier pheasant loads you were using? I could shoot them off my front porch, but I know everyone doesn't live as far out in the sticks as I

. Another question, when the rear trigger will not fire, how does it feel? Does it feel "blocked" from being pulled, or does it feel "spongy", etc.?
SRH
Re: Second Barrel Question
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:34 am
by Oregon16
Stan,
Thanks for the suggestions. Back in the "city" now so firing the barrels in reverse order off my back porch would wake up more than the deer! In response to your question about the feel of the trigger, it felt stiff, i.e. I could not pull it to release the firing pin. Any suggestions on a good fox gunsmith for this issue?
Re: Second Barrel Question
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:50 am
by bbman3
Was the gun snapping or you could not pull the trigger.If could not pull trigger safety may be engaging from heavier recoil. Bobby
Re: Second Barrel Question
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:19 pm
by Oregon16
Thanks Bobby. I could not pull the trigger. It may be the safety as you suggested, but the safety selector was still in the off position when this occurred.