Page 1 of 1

Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:33 pm
by 6pt-sika
Was the first 20 gauge Sterlingworth supposed to be seriel number 250,000 or 250,100 ?

I've seen reference material state both were the first 20 gauge gun .

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:36 am
by Researcher
There is some evidence that would point to the first prototype 20-gauge Sterlingworth being 250000 and the first production gun 250001. The lowest serial number I've recorded is 250008. The old, and as often as not misleading, Lightner Library produced serial number chronology gives 250100 as the highest serial number reached at the end of 1912, not that that is the first serial number.

From decades of observing and recording serial numbers it appears that 20-gauge serial numbers go up into the 266xxx range and then jump to 270000 and continue. I haven't recorded a gun between 266435 and 270121. So, maybe 3500 or so serial numbers were skipped, and instead of there being some 21304 20-gauge Sterlingworths out there, there are only 17804?!?

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:22 pm
by 6pt-sika
The reason I ask , I got seriel number 250,124 avid was trying to figure out if it were the 24th or 124th !

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:06 pm
by Fullopen
Researcher,
While you're talking about 20 ga. serial numbers, my A-grade 20 ga. is 203750. According to the doublegunshop manuf. date source, it was the last graded Fox made in 1936. Is that correct?

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 pm
by Researcher
No. The sale of graded 20-gauge Ansley H. Fox doubles was extremely slow during those tough depression years. That published serial number chronology is virtually worthless. I have photocopies of the sheets Roe Clark used to compile the 20-gauge production for McIntosh's book. He did fifty serial numbers per page, and some of those pages of fifty serial numbers in the 203xxx range have guns shipped from the late 1920s into the 1940s!! According to Roe's tabulation your gun was shipped on January 24, 1936. The page of fifty numbers that ends with your gun (203701 to 203750) has guns shipped from 1934 to 1940. Roe made a note of three consecutively serial numbered SP-Grades on that page shipped to the USMC in July 1935!?!

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 pm
by Researcher
That published serial number chronology is virtually worthless.
Actually it is just worthless.

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:40 pm
by Fullopen
Thanks. 1/24/36; I'll try to remember that.

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:30 pm
by MARSHFELLOW
Dave,

3 20ga SPs to the USMC????........that is interesting as heck to me. I wonder why they wanted 20s?........... I wonder if they got military markings in anyway?

tjw

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 pm
by DSizemore
Now there's you something new to chase for!

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 pm
by Researcher
I don't know how we'd ever find out if they were actually ordered by the Corps? Were they just product for the Marine Corp Exchange system? Or, did three Marines at Camp Pendelton decide they wanted to go chase the California Valley Quail on the base, and put in an order through the exchange system?

Re: Sterlingworth 20 gauge seriel numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:44 pm
by Fullopen
My guess is top brass quail shooting aka aerial gunnery.