Page 1 of 1
Just waiting...
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm
by Stevie
..For my 12ga Sterlingworth to arrive...
Trying real hard to be a 'pillar of patience'...I know nothing about Fox shotguns..but have been lusting for one for some peculiar reason or other. A few years ago I decided to aquire both a Fox Sterlingworth and a Parker Trojan. That's easier said than done. Not a lot of selection in central Oklahoma...online guns either are chopped on one end or the other..broken wood..or dented barrels...mostly priced beyond what I'm willing to pay if not otherwise defective..
So I have purchased a Sterlingworth(I know nothing about). This links to the auction
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =361240522
So what can you AH Fox gurus tell me about this gun from the auction pics?..I think it's been reblued and has a damaged triggerguard..still appealed to me for whatever reason...the pics ain't that good
Re: Just waiting...
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:00 pm
by Stan Hillis
Doesn't look bad for a shooter, at all. As you said, the receiver has been blued, which isn't original. If the barrels have been blued just hope they weren't hot blued, which can lead to damage to the solder joints. Nothing stands out as being badly damaged, to me. Wood looks uncut, can't see any bad dents, top lever still slightly right. If the bores are good and the triggers work properly you look to have just bought yourself a good shooter for a very good price. When you get it, try to check the bore diameters to see if they are near to what they were originally. If they're much over that, expect barrel honing and get the wall thicknesses measured before keeping, or at least shooting, it.
Good luck, SRH
Re: Just waiting...
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm
by Stevie
Yeh..I wondered about the chokes listed..I would've expected full and full..or full and modified...not modified and improved mod
But hey...who knows?...Maybe a previous owner fired a bunch of 'Super-Duper Pumpkin-ball Whammy-loads' out of one barrel!
Re: Just waiting...
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:01 pm
by Researcher
Looks like an early Savage-vintage gun. In those days the normal chokes for a 30-inch Fox-Sterlingworth "Standard" were modified and full. If the dealer measured the chokes with one of those worthless plugs, the chokes could well be anything. In reality, even measuring the chokes with a bore micrometer only tells you how many thousandths choke there is and how long the chokes are. Choke is defined as the percent of shot in the load the barrel puts in a 30-inch circle at forty yards, so shooting patterns and counting pellets is the only way to really tell what the chokes are.
Re: Just waiting...
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:14 pm
by Stevie
The amount of constriction one maker might consider improved mod could be another manufacturer's full choke too. Using the old brass 'choke gage'..even shotguns of the same brand/gauge/choke vary to some degree.
Might as well use a dime..
Trigger guard: Look at my gun's auction pics 2 and 3(right side)..then pics 8 and 9(left side)..does not the part the curls up behind the rear trigger look out of whack on the right side??
Re: Just waiting...
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 am
by Fin2Feather
The chokes on my Savage-era 12ga letter as M/IC, so combinations other than M/F do exist. And for the record, that's what my old Galazan gauge says they are

.
Re: Just waiting...
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:38 pm
by Stevie
Well really??..I'm still waiting. Got suspiscious when my 'new' Fox shotgun was supposed to ship..yet days go by and no tracking number...and a disregarded email a few days ago.
I had to call today to find out there was some sort of 'problem' with my shotgun that prevented them from shipping it to my FFL..and this 'problem' apparently also prevented them from notifying me about the problem...Well yeh...since I can't seem to be told exactly what's wrong...my paranoia's are kicking in..I suspect they sold it after I won the auction.
Yes indeed..I will find out what happened to my first AH Fox shotgun...
Re: Just waiting...
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:17 am
by Fin2Feather
Any updates on your gun?