Page 1 of 2
Pin Guns
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:23 pm
by 200052
For many years I have recorded the SN and some details of every Sterlinworth pin gun I have seen; most were on the east coast. Many times I have wondered where the SN break was between the few Wayne Junction address and the Philadelphia Sterlingworth Co. I know that 50044 is Wayne Junction and that 50273 is Sterlingworth Co.
Secondly, I can get close on the break between Sterlingworth Co. at 53276 and Fox Co. at 53653-still pin guns. If any one out there has a gun between these two SN ranges, I'd appreciate it If you would advise me which it is.
Ed Farrand
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:10 pm
by yelloh564
Ed,
S/N 50180 is Sterlingworth Co, with Wayne Junction address
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:24 pm
by remuse
No longer in my posession, #50249 is Philly.
-Weston
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:32 pm
by MARSHFELLOW
Finally remembered to check mine....61,039...Philly, 30" with ejectors.
Marshfellow
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm
by FOXIST
200052 I have 60431 and it is a ejector Standard gun with Philly address.
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:17 pm
by Researcher
My list shows what is stated above -- 50180 is Wayne Junction and 50249 is Philadelphia. The change from the rounded side panel to the more typically Fox pointed side panel was between 50471 and 50800. The highest "The Sterlingworth Co." I've recorded is 53824 and the lowest Sterlingworth Model 1911 I've recorded is 53140. I might ad that 53824 had Fox Proof on the barrel flats and Model 1911 on the forearm iron?!? I haven't recorded an ejector "pin gun" until the 59xxx range.
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:27 pm
by bamboozler
Just recently I purchased Silvers' (ex Marshfellows) 1912 12-ga. 30" Sterlingworth Ejector pin gun #61039. I have been keeping an eye open for a 30" Ejector pin gun for several years, this is the 1st one that I've ever seen offered...so I jumped on it. Of the 12,000 or so pin guns produced, it was estimated by one of our AHFCA members that only ~400-500 of these were ejector guns. I personally suspect that even fewer ejector guns than that were actually built as they are rarely encountered...but of course I could be wrong.
You see pin guns with slotted hinge pins and other pin guns without the slots. I wonder why?
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:45 pm
by NJdblgun
I just picked up a philly pin gun on the internet; a very tight gun, SN 61345, 28" barrels and slotted pins. A couple very minor splits in very nice figured wood. Unfortunately, one dent in the left choke, but it will be a shooter for wobble clays, and the left side wont get shot too much.
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 pm
by Dr_Woof
I have S/N 50243 and it's a "Sterlingworth Company - Philadelphia PA. USA", The pins are recessed and covered with slotted cap screws. 12 guage 30" barrels and with the "Pointy" side panel.
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:11 pm
by 16fox
I have 59304 slotted pin 12 gauge 28 inch barrels philly gun
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:17 pm
by Dr_Woof
Just a coupla questions: (1) several refer to a "slotted pin" type; is that like mine with slotted (removable) screws covering the actual pins?. and (2) Many refs to a "philly" gun - some pictures show Philadelphia abbreviated to Phila, but mine spells it all out - comments?
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:31 pm
by Researcher
The very earliest "pin-guns", probably less then 200, had a Wayne Junction barrel address. My gun has Philadelphia, U.S.A. while others use Phila., PA. and still others used Phila., PA, U.S.A.
http://www.foxcollectors.com/barrel_stamps.htm
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:40 pm
by Dr_Woof
Looks like I got another variety for yur collection then. Mine has "The Sterlingworth Company - Philadelphia PA. U.S.A" (no period after the A) on the left barrel. And "Sterlingworth Fluid Compressed Steel Made By" on the right barrel.
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:06 pm
by jhmoore
I have pin gun serial number 55346. “STERLINGWORTHâ€
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:28 pm
by sterlingworthsidebyside
hello! New member and I sent my check off today also for my AH Fox membership!!! so no free loader here!! The serial # on my gun says
"THE STERLINGWORTH CO." on side and it is #507XX.