Page 1 of 1

barrel length

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 pm
by 20Gauge
I have a 20 gauge Sterlingworth (# 235158) with 24.5 inch barrels. The standard short barrels are apparently 26". Where do you measure them; is it something other than breech to muzzle? This was rumored to be a "Lady's Gun"; guess it's possible someone had the barrels cut down?

thanks,
20Gauge (user)

Re: barrel length

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:42 am
by Twice Barrel
Standard barrel length for Fox Sterlingworth guns are 26", 28", 30" and 32". I have some with a variance of 1/32d or even 1/16th but not more than that and all on the long side. The barrels are measured from the end of the muzzle to the end of the breech. I think your gun was most likely cut down as a ladies or youth gun. It might be interesting to see if there is any choke in the barrels. If there is the gun would make a nice gun for a youngster or petite lady.

Re: barrel length

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:55 pm
by 20Gauge
I got my letter; factory shipping date of Nov 1915. Sterlingworth Brush Grade 20 gauage with original 26" barrels. I assume with shortened barrels, a cracked and nailed-together (!) stock, and the general well-worn appearance of the gun, that it would not be worth much to resell. I'm thinking of getting it OK'd by a gunsmith, and if it's shootable, getting a new stock and keeping it in the family.
DSCF0533.JPG
DSCF0533.JPG (130.08 KiB) Viewed 3476 times

Re: barrel length

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm
by 2X2
Don't know how handy you are, but the stock could probably correctly be repaired instead of buying a new one. Always best to have the original if possible.
Mike Orlen or a gunsmith near you could also jugchoke the left barrel to about improved cylinder; make a decent field gun out to 35 yds. I think he charges about $75 for a jugchoke job.
Here are directions on how to pull the stock and always use gunsmith drivers and bits to properly fit screws.

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/con ... embly.html

If you need help, we can coach you. Be a good learning project.

If it was you father's or grandfather's gun; it's priceless.

Re: barrel length

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 pm
by Scott
This is the first 20 gauge that I have seen with the "Extra" Engraving. Has any one else seen one in a small bore?

Re: barrel length

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:51 am
by fullchoke16
One with somewhat similar "extra" engraving was pictured on a thread here a few months ago. The best guess seemed to be that it was after market work.

Re: barrel length

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:07 pm
by Scott
I will go out on a limb here, I have seen 4 of these guns and they all look to have the same amount of extra engraving. I think the last post stated that they may have been made up for one dealer or distributor possibly as a special order.
extra engraver sterlingworth.jpg
extra engraver sterlingworth.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 3390 times

Re: barrel length

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:42 pm
by 20Gauge
This one went to Watkins-Cottrell in Richmond, which appears to have sold a fair amount of Foxes...