Page 1 of 1

What is it worth?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:02 am
by Birdman
I have an A-Grade Philly 12 ga. Fox. I have a buddy who sent it to me and I lent him some money on the gun. My smith says it is approx. 65% condition. It has scratches in the metal that can be buffed out etc. Stock has lots of typical hunting scratches, but no cracks. There is one small chip behind the magazine but it could be fixed pretty easily. Bores excellent.

What do you think the value range of this gun is? Min.____________ To Max._____________ If I were to sell it for him on the net, etc?

Also what do you think this gun would bring, if it was restored properly? Min.______________ to Max. ______________

Thanks for your help guys.

P.S. I want to pay him what typically would be the going rate for this gun..


Steve

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 am
by ASavageFox
I'm no pro but I watch the online auctions pretty closely. From my perspective, I would not give you a quote without pictures. Serial number would help so would more info the gun... barrel length, single or double trigger, forearn type, Barrel weights, chokes, serial number, etc etc

The truth of the matter is the A grades really don't fetch more than S/W unless they have condition or rare features.

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:18 pm
by Researcher
There is one small chip behind the magazine but it could be fixed pretty easily.
Where is there a magazine on an Ansley H. Fox double?

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:33 pm
by Birdman
Researcher,

LOL. The Action, I don't know what you call it. Could you tell me what it is called please?

Thanks
Steve

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:17 pm
by Researcher
The hunk of metal that holds everything together is the receiver. The cost to "properly restore" an A-Grade would be far more then any 12-gauge A-Grade is worth and a restored gun is still generally valued in the market place as no more then a 70% gun. Restoring a lowere grade gun is only because it holds some significance to you, or you want to. The only person that makes money on such a thing is Doug Turnbull, Buck Hamlin, et al.

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:01 pm
by Birdman
Anybody out there that would like to estimate the high and low on this gun? It has double triggers, full, improved mod. 65%

Thanks
Steve

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:32 am
by fox-admin
The best way to value your gun is look at Fox A's in similar condition sold on gunbroker. Restoration will add little to no value to a Fox A in 65% in my opinion. In the condition you describe with a chip out of the stock, low $650. high $850.

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:41 pm
by George Lander
I believe that Craig's reply above is on the money. A serial number would help determine if it's an early or later A Grade. Bore condition, also would be important.

Best Regards, George

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:44 am
by Birdman
This gun is a later gun, Bores are good.

Steve

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 am
by birdawg
Then at least the bore condition will not subtract from the value but early guns tend to bring more money than later guns do. It all most sounds like you are fishing for a buyer here.

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:30 pm
by Birdman
Birdawg,

No Sir. I helped a friend out in need. If I wanted to sell the gun as-is, there are 4 major Gunsites and Chatrooms that only charge $10.00 to sell a gun. I wanted to ask Fox Collecters, because I am a Fox Collector myself. But I collect 16's mainly.
I know I have too much money in the gun and I'm trying to decide if I want to restore it and then sell it to recoup my loss.

Steve

Re: What is it worth?

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:13 pm
by George Lander
e: DAWG is correct in that Plilly Foxes tend to bring more that those produced by Savage. I don't know what sort of restoration your Fox needs but if the bores are good I would not advise refinishing. In addition to the cost you will most likely reduce the gun's resale value.

just My Humble Opinion........George