Page 3 of 5

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm
by Weatherby
Frank exactly how do I do that ?
Remember I'm not too savvy.

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 pm
by Silvers
Check the Home Page and click on the Sign Up button. Once you’re a member (usually takes a week or so) you can go to the Members Forum which is phantom to you right now, and check the sticky there for Card Lookups.

Paul, if you live near where Savage used to be in Utica you might look at the Events Forum and get to one of the events in northeast PA where you can hook up with some of us. Bring your SPE please.

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:17 pm
by Weatherby
Thank you Frank but I'm afraid that would be very painful for me seeing all the beautiful guns that are out of reach.
I'm near the Westfield MA plant
The guy who brought it in to where I purchased his father worked at the Utica NY facility
I'm thinking the family moved with the company.
I know....buy the gun not the story.
My dealer I do trust and not a little 100%
Done....see you in a week. : )

I did take a couple other pictures before putting it away.
Hope you enjoy
Regards
Paul

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:31 pm
by Jeff S
Paul, don't worry about shooting with these guys. It's a great group and you will be welcomed with opened arms (now 6 feet apart). I drove from Michigan to Pa. in 2015 and now I attend every event that I can. You won't be disappointed. :)

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:34 am
by abner
Weatherby: Thanks for the extra photos, the gun looks like it was never used, if it was redone the serial number and proof marks would be buffed and not sharp like this gun. Don't worry about being called "not a collector gun", there are many members here that wish they had found this gun and had it in their collection. This gun has many extras collectors want, you made a great find.

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:10 am
by Weatherby
Thank you Ralph.
I've found everyone helpful.
I've looked through some of the pictures and liked who and what I saw as well.
Regards
Paul

I particularly like the hunting ones.

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:41 am
by Silvers
Weatherby wrote: [snip] Done....see you in a week. : )

I did take a couple other pictures before putting it away.
Hope you enjoy
Regards
Paul
Paul, thanks again for all your efforts. Not sure what you meant by see you in a week? Also, please don't put the gun away for long - they were made to shoot whether for hunting, clays or both. You now own someone's pride and joy and it's a cool gun with spirit intact. frank

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:58 am
by Weatherby
HI Frank
You had said it takes about a week to become a member.
So that's where that came from....few get my humor :)
My wife and kids surely don't.

It is definitely my pride and joy now and will be cherished.

I'm a wood junkie and my son seems to have inherited that from me.
I showed it to him for the first time last night.
Told him how everything I pointed at so far I've been right on.

Had him flip up with it and see if it was the same for him.
It was.....now to make a bond and have it be an heirloom gun....the very best kind IMHO

And you right....that's by shooting it.

Re: New guy....looking for info on a Utica NY fox....picture

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:07 pm
by Weatherby
I did get my card and in Stock it does say full.
I take it that's a good sign ?

Maybe very good.

Re: Looking for info on a Utica NY fox....another ? Post 37

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 pm
by SPE33
Fox guns were available with three different grip styles.Full pistol grip (such as your gun),Half pistol grip (AKA round knob or Prince of Wales),and a straight grip.If possible,try to find a copy of the Michael McIntosh book A.H.Fox...The Finest Gun in the World.Altho it has been out for a while and is slightly dated it is still full of interesting information and there is a section in there on the SP/SPE style guns.

Re: Looking for info on a Utica NY fox....another ? Post 37

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 pm
by Researcher
A bit more up to date information on the SP-/SPE-Grades can be found in an article by our own Tom Wyraz (Marshfellow) in the Spring 2009 issue of our newsletter which can be found in the archives on the Members Only section of the web site. Also, an article by Bill Headrick in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issue 2, pages 82 to 90.

Re: Looking for info on a Utica NY fox....another ? Post 37

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:44 pm
by Weatherby
Thanks Researcher I will check it out.

Re: Looking for info on a Utica NY fox....another ? Post 37

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:27 am
by Weatherby
With the little that was on my card I did check how it would be choked the left is right on modified while the right is just a bit tighter than improved.

Should be great for not smooth grouse.

Re: Looking for info on a Utica NY fox....another ? Post 37

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 am
by Brian Dudley
The wood is not original.

Looks to be an SP grade.

Re: Looking for info on a Utica NY fox....another ? Post 37

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:08 pm
by Weatherby
Brian on a gun that doesn't match the card.
I think I'm happy...nah I know I am.

I found it very interesting to learn the history of these starting in 1932 and this is an early one....very early.