Page 2 of 2

Re: Colt 1878

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:05 pm
by Researcher
That is quite the piece of wood! I would guess from the serial number that your gun is the later style Colt hammer gun with the rib extension?
2061 04.jpg
18191 07 Dolls-Head.jpg

Re: Colt 1878

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 5:48 pm
by SPE33
These Colt shotguns were built from 1878-1889. This one was shipped to E.C.Meacham Arms Company in St. Louis on October 16th,1886,It does have the rib extension. I believe there were around 22,600 or so built. I have yet to see another having the bottom of the receiver sculpted like this one.

Re: Colt 1878

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:48 pm
by Researcher
That sculpting to the bottom smacks of the Syracuse L.C. Smiths.

To date the highest serial number Model 1878 I've recorded is 20648 that Puglisi has had for sale.

Gotta love those Colt letters "wood" and "blue"! The only thing blue on my 1883 is the top-lever and trigger guard.

Re: Colt 1878

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:36 pm
by Foxnut
Great looking wood Joe! Looking forward to seeing progress on your restoration!