Search found 2858 matches

by Silvers
Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:26 am
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: Is the cheek checkering on my Fox factory?
Replies: 4
Views: 112

Re: Is the cheek checkering on my Fox factory?

The cheek checkering doesn't look quite right to me; as Craig stated it looks to be too coarse (lines per inch) and the arcs of the forward part of the panel are a little too far back from the frame. Maybe it was done at the factory but without documentation it will always end with a question mark. ...
by Silvers
Tue Oct 06, 2026 1:51 pm
Forum: Pictures of your Fox
Topic: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Replies: 11
Views: 425

Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course

So, I had an AI model evaluate close up pics of the buttstock and here's what it came back with as regards the wood species. For those unfamiliar with AI models, they usually reply in the first tense, here "My" and "I", as a person would talk with you. frank My opinion: If I had ...
by Silvers
Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:22 am
Forum: Pictures of your Fox
Topic: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Replies: 11
Views: 425

Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course

Jeff S wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 9:45 pm That’s a good looking gun, and in the pictures it appears to have more drop at comb than at heal. I’m very interested in reading your article.
Thanks Jeff and all. The Fox stock has a parallel comb at 1-5/8 by 1-5/8 to the MC dropoff at 2-1/4". frank
by Silvers
Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:54 pm
Forum: Pictures of your Fox
Topic: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Replies: 11
Views: 425

Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course

Jimmy, you're probably correct on the fiddleback walnut and I'll add it to my original post here. I'm not a wood expert by any means and my thought when I first posted is that it reminded me of flintlock long rifle stocks made of tiger striped hard maple. Thank you! From what I understand the Simmon...
by Silvers
Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:49 pm
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: My G&D September 16 Gauge Fox
Replies: 8
Views: 349

Re: My G&D September 16 Gauge Fox

Steve, a great looking Fox and a wise choice. Happy for you. As far as I'm concerned, 16's rule in the uplands. frank
by Silvers
Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:26 pm
Forum: Pictures of your Fox
Topic: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Replies: 11
Views: 425

Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course

Today I finally had a chance to shoot the Fox J Grade SBT gun I found in Alaska a few months ago. I had limited time this morning, shot 60 mixed reloads and did quite well on sporting clays singles on call = 55/60. I know this will give some of our purist collectors the jitters but she's been restoc...
by Silvers
Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:34 am
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: Any Idea What Grade This Might Be?
Replies: 5
Views: 284

Re: Any Idea What Grade This Might Be?

The 3rd and 4th pics make it look like it has a lot of drop, if that's a yes/no consideration for you. Beyond that, imo that's a decent price assuming the bores are good and the crack isn't too bad and “isn't going anywhere”. frank
by Silvers
Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:05 pm
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: Anyone watch this DGJ video??
Replies: 10
Views: 435

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

All of my manuscripts were prominently indicated "Copyright (Date) and my name" and in absence of a written Agreement otherwise, that granted the publisher the right to use that material for an upcoming issue. As regards reuse, there is reasonable basis for the author to expect additional ...
by Silvers
Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:22 am
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: Anyone watch this DGJ video??
Replies: 10
Views: 435

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Craig, I'm not a subscriber and the video link doesn't work here. But as a former DGJ author myself this brings up the question of whether the copyright assignment(s) and author's stipend carries over to later presentation in another format? frank
by Silvers
Sat Sep 26, 2026 7:43 am
Forum: "Technicana" and Restoration Forum
Topic: An interesting Fox that could use a little love
Replies: 8
Views: 726

Re: An interesting Fox that could use a little love

Thank you for your responses! For some information on the ejector, the right side will extract the cartridge but not “spring” forward and eject the shell like the left barrel will. Should I be looking for anything in specific to narrow down my diagnosis? I'm not trying to be coy or mysterious here ...
by Silvers
Fri Sep 25, 2026 7:37 am
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: Name That Name on Card
Replies: 10
Views: 599

Re: Name That Name on Card

George Emmons was a noted Trap and Live Bird shooter, and at one time he was owner or maybe co-owner of a Sporting Goods store in Washington DC. Back in the day he was friends and shot with with some of the principals at the post-Ansley AH Fox Gun Company and competed at other clubs in the area, as ...
by Silvers
Sun Sep 20, 2026 11:26 am
Forum: "Technicana" and Restoration Forum
Topic: An interesting Fox that could use a little love
Replies: 8
Views: 726

Re: An interesting Fox that could use a little love

The stock work can be done by many competent vintage double 'smiths but I heartily recommend having a proven Foxsmith evaluate the troublesome ejector. While the Russell patent (2nd gen) Fox ejector system is a very reliable design, there are many things that can affect its functioning. Unfortunatel...
by Silvers
Fri Sep 18, 2026 7:43 am
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: Members Section
Replies: 6
Views: 779

Re: Members Section

Can someone verify that my membership dues went through yesterday? Paypal kind of went squirrely on me at the end. I noticed I still don't have access to the members only section so I wanted to make sure. All the gents who lead and manage the Association/site are volunteers and do that as they have...
by Silvers
Fri Sep 11, 2026 7:18 am
Forum: "Technicana" and Restoration Forum
Topic: Barrels under spring tension
Replies: 3
Views: 448

Re: Barrels under spring tension

Actually that's due to spring compression, not tension. To answer your question re: AH Fox guns ..... the firing hammer(s) are cocking too early in the opening arc. That can happen for several reasons and it would take many paragraphs to explain why and also how to correct for those who might be cap...
by Silvers
Sat Sep 05, 2026 8:27 pm
Forum: Fox Collectors Forum
Topic: OT - Two Nice Bucks
Replies: 5
Views: 1415

OT - Two Nice Bucks

Two nice bucks nearby my home here in northeast PA. Second one is a real beaut!
.
Buck 12.jpg
Buck 11.jpg